Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Loving Works



Scripture

Revelation 2:1-5

1“To the angel of the church in Ephesus write: These are the words of him who holds the seven stars in his right hand, who walks among the seven golden lampstands:

2“I know your works, your toil and your patient endurance. I know that you cannot tolerate evildoers; you have tested those who claim to be apostles but are not, and have found them to be false. 3I also know that you are enduring patiently and bearing up for the sake of my name, and that you have not grown weary. 4But I have this against you, that you have abandoned the love you had at first. 5Remember then from what you have fallen; repent, and do the works you did at first. If not, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place, unless you repent."    (NRSV)

 

Devotion

Today's warning to the church in Ephesus is one that really hits home to me.   On the surface, it looks like the Ephesians are model Christ-followers.  This is the same church that Paul commended for being loving, faithful, well organized, busy in the gospel, and growing.  Other than some concerns about doctrinal drift, Ephesus was the church that we should all want to be. 

Something, though, has changed between Paul's letter to the Ephesians and the vision John receives Revelation.  Something important.  The church in Ephesus is still known for patiently enduring trials and staying true to the God's commandments when other churches have grown weary of the fight.  It is probably still busy and still well organized.  The problem is that its members have lost the love they once had. 

Why did the Ephesians lose their sense of love?  Well, we don't fully know.  Perhaps it was due to the types of doctrinal disagreements that had split other congregations within the early church.  Perhaps it was due to the anxiety and distrust that accompanies enduring constant threats of persecution.  Perhaps they just felt weary and burnt out from all they were doing in order to further the gospel message.  Whatever the cause may be, it seems as if the Church in Ephesus has no love left to give.  Because they do not love as Jesus taught them to love, they are to be regarded as fallen and in danger of being removed from their place within Christ's Church Universal.

I feel for the church in Ephesus, because there are definitely times when it is hard to keep loving.  When I am tired, hurt, or angry or overwhelmed, love is not the first thing on my mind.  Instead, I just want to get through something and check it off my list.  The task I am accomplishing may be right and good and just; but if I do not do things out of a sense of love, then I have missed the point of the Gospel.  

To stop loving is to forget that all that we say and do should be a reflection of the love that God has shown for us.  Once we forget that guiding principle, then we begin to fall away from who and what Christ calls us to be.  Caring for others becomes little more than a chore.  We start slacking off and looking for ways to get out of things.  Even when we stay the course and keep doing good works, the grim and begrudging spirits do not inspire others to want to come to know Jesus.  Nor do we compel people to help build up Christ's Kin-dom on Earth. 

So what does it mean to love?  Any parent or caregiver will tell you that love doesn't mean that you don't get frustrated or angry at times.  Love doesn't mean letting people get away with things that are wrong or accepting abusive/demeaning behavior.  Love--true love--is earnestly seeking that best for others.  It's lending a hand when needed and offering challenge when necessary...not because we feel like we have to or because it will make us look good, but because we truly want someone or something else to thrive.

As I take a look at my own life, I to admit that while I am very loving in aspects of my existence, I am sadly fallen in others.   And so I myself asking: who do I need to work on loving more?  Where is my love lacking, and how can I build up that love?  How do I show it not just in the things that I enjoy but the activities that feel burdensome?  How do I show love not only in moments when I get to thank someone for being good and kind but also in the times when I am called to hold someone accountable for being unjust, unkind, and unethical? 

The Good News is we can love others in that kind of way, because God first loved us.  God loves us when doing so is painful, time consuming, and exhausting.  God even loves us when we are being completely hateful.  Through Christ's example,  God showed us how to share that kind of deep and abiding love with others.And because the Holy Spirit has placed Christ's love within our hearts, we can share it with even our greatest enemies.

If, like the Ephesians, if you find yourself in danger of losing sight of or even abandoning the love you have been given, I encourage you to repent of all that stands in the way of you and that love.  Take your anger...your resentment...even your sense of duty and give those things up to God so that there is room in your heart for Christ's love.  Let that love fill you and transform you so that you may regain your place on the lampstand from which you have fallen and may continue to help Christ's light shine throughout the world.  

With Christ's love to fill and guide you, you cannot help but be a witness to the Good News we find in him.  The brighter you shine with it, the more it will spread to others.  And soon, all the world shall be filled with God's love.




Prayer

Jesus, you know how far I have fallen from our commitment to love as you taught us to love.  Help us, we pray.  May our cold, hard hearts soften and grow warm once again so that we may serve you not out of duty, but our love for you, your people, and your creation.  We are bold enough to ask you this, because you love us more deeply than we can every fathom.  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment