Friday, March 27, 2020

Life is Still Blooming


Scripture

Song of Solomon 2:10-13
My beloved speaks and says to me:
“Arise, my love, my fair one,
    and come away;
11 for now the winter is past,
    the rain is over and gone.
12 The flowers appear on the earth;
    the time of singing has come,
and the voice of the turtledove
    is heard in our land.
13 The fig tree puts forth its figs,
    and the vines are in blossom;
    they give forth fragrance.
Arise, my love, my fair one,
    and come away.  (NRSV)


Devotion

I love being outside in the spring. When I moved to Wadesboro back last fall, I looked forward to spending this spring having coffee in the garden with parishioners and attending high school baseball games. I certainly didn't expect a pandemic to drastically change the way we move through the world. Like many people, I'm trying to protect others by staying home when possible and doing a lot of my work and socializing online. Based on the amount of time I've spent indoors, you would think it was the depths of winter. Life has seemed rather rainy and gray.

Today, I took public officials' advice and went on a nice, socially-distant walk. When I took the time to open my eyes and really look, I could almost hear the voice of the Bridegroom in the Song of Solomon pointing out all the signs of spring. The birds sang as they winged across a bright blue sky. Tiny flowers sprang from the ground. The dogwoods and redbuds were covered in blooms. Everything was fragrant and beautiful...and I had almost missed it.

Although it was intended as a series of love poems, the Song of Solomon can offer us some comfort in this springtime laden with uncertainty. The lovers' fascination with the natural world invites us to notice the world around us and take heart in the reality of another burgeoning spring. After a season of cold and rain of winter, new life is coming forth everywhere. Each and every year, God's Creation proclaims that death may be powerful, but life overcomes it in the end.

Beloved, arise! Come away from all your worries and take a moment to drink in the hope and joy of spring. If you are able to do safely do so, go out for a brief walk or sit on your porch for a spell. If you need to stay inside, open the curtains or have a loved one snap a few pictures for you. If you are the creative type, paint a picture or write a poem or listen to spring-time music. My point is: do something that welcomes in new life and new opportunities. Springtime is a gift from God, and we need to take time to appreciate its blessings.

I hope that taking moment to commune with Creation can ease some of your woes (whatever they may be). We can take heart in God's promise that rain and gloom do not last forever. The time for singing will come again. Behold, its sweet fragrance is already hanging in the air. Let us arise, and find hope in that day's promised coming.




Prayer

Loving Creator, you have given us a world that is beautiful beyond all imagination. May the blossoms and buds opening around us, make us mindful of your promise that even in the depths of winter, your presence allows life to burst forth again. Bring comfort to those who are grieving and peace to those who are anxious until the time for singing comes. Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment