Monday, June 8, 2020

Staying Committed


Scripture

Isaiah 50: 4-9

The Lord God has given me
    the tongue of a teacher,
that I may know how to sustain
    the weary with a word.
Morning by morning he wakens—
    wakens my ear
    to listen as those who are taught.
The Lord God has opened my ear,
    and I was not rebellious,
    I did not turn backward.
I gave my back to those who struck me,
    and my cheeks to those who pulled out the beard;
I did not hide my face
    from insult and spitting.

The Lord God helps me;
    therefore I have not been disgraced;
therefore I have set my face like flint,
    and I know that I shall not be put to shame;
    he who vindicates me is near.
Who will contend with me?
    Let us stand up together.
Who are my adversaries?
    Let them confront me.
It is the Lord God who helps me;
    who will declare me guilty?
All of them will wear out like a garment;
    the moth will eat them up.

Devotion

The Book of Isaiah was written during difficult times. It begins with the Isaiah pronouncing God's judgement upon the people and the Kingdom of Judah poised on the brink of destruction.  By chapter 40, Judah has fallen to Babylon, and the people are living in exile.  But just when all hope seems lost, the prophet begins to speak of a better future.  He explains that things may be bleak at the moment, but they will not be left to suffer forever.  If they just hold fast to their faith, then God will surely comfort and restore Israel. 

In Chapter 50, a person the prophet calls "God's servant" is speaking to Israel.  This servant knows that a better day is coming for all who follows God's commandments.  There will be times when the world's mockery will tempt them to turn away from the LORD, but the servant will keep listening to God.   They will teach the people in word and in deed.  Through their faithfulness, they will give strength to the weary and provide encouragement to those in distress.  Even when people spit in the servants face for their devotion, they  remain strong.  As the servant says, "with a face like flint; and I know that I shall not be put to shame."

Would that we all be so resolute in our faith!   The truth is that it is hard to remain firm, because to follow God's commandments is to articulate a series of unpopular opinions.  The world doesn't understand why someone would value the well-being of others over the almighty dollar...or why someone would make sacrifices to protect those who are vulnerable.  It certainly doesn't understand It means standing up for true justice by speaking Truth to Power.  And what the world doesn't understand, it tends to mock or otherwise resist.

When it feels like all the world is against us, let us take heart in the words of Isaiah's faithful servant.  For though the world may have derided the prophet, he was eventually vindicated when God saved the people from bondage.  Like the prophet, we can have faith that when we listen carefully to God and stay steadfast to our duty to teach others about his Word, we too will be vindicated.  The Day of the LORD is coming.  Those of us who are committed enough to keep from hiding our faces from the world's insults will rejoice in its arrival.


Prayer

God, we have faith in your promise that when we follow your will, we will eventually see you triumph over the powers of human sinfulness.  Grant us the perseverance to keep teaching the world about your Word during this time of turmoil.  We look eagerly to the day when your glory is revealed and our actions (which the world mocks) are vindicated for all to see.  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment