Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Both Free and Responsible

Having Fun with my Face Mask

Scripture

 1 Corinithians 10:23-24
23 “All things are lawful,” but not all things are beneficial. “All things are lawful,” but not all things build up. 24 Do not seek your own advantage, but that of the other..." (NRSV)

Devotion

 Every day, local,state, and federal officials issue new guidance about COVID 19.  All this guidance rarely lines up well.  The CDC strongly recommends wearing masks, but many state governments say it isn't feasible to legally require them.  One state only allows takeout, but people just across the border are munching away on restaurant patios. All the while, the number or COVID cases continues to climb.  The more we dig into the legalities of life during a pandemic, the more Paul's words in 1 Corinthians ring in my head.  

When Paul wrote that all things were lawful, but not all things were beneficial, he was referring to the practice of buying and/or eating meat that had been sacrificed to the  Greek and Roman gods.  Many Corinthian Christians saw no problem with consuming such meat as long as they hadn't taken part in the sacrifice.  Others among them saw eating the meat as a form of idol worship.  Paul's take was that because there was nothing technically wrong with the meat and all things come from God, Christians who were strong in their faith wouldn't be spiritually hurt by eating it.  At the same time, people just learning about Christ might misinterpret the sight of Christians eating sacrificial meat as a form of worshiping the gods.  This misunderstanding could lead people who were not yet strong the faith astray.  Paul thought that Christians should look after the spiritual well-being of others by refusing to eat any meat that they were told had been part of a sacrifice.  To knowingly eat such meat was to endanger the souls of the people who witnessed them dong so.
  
What would happen if we applied this same thought process to our current situation?  For instance, the CDC recommends that we wear cloth face masks not so much to preserve our own safety but to keep others from being exposed to germs we may be unknowlingly breathing out ourselves.  As a young, relatively healthy person, I am at less risk of becoming extremely ill from COVID-19.  But am I willing to put other, more vulnerable people at risk?  It may be perfectly legal for me to be mask-less.  Frankly, it would be nice to not have to deal with my glasses constantly fogging up.   But are the personal benefits of leaving my face mask at home worth the harm I could to others if I am unknowingly exposed to the virus?   Whose life might I put in danger if I go to the grocery store bare-faced?  I know in my heart that Christ wouldn't want me to put my personal freedom to go mask-less over the safety of vulnerable people in my community.  Therefore, I keep wearing my mask in order to build up, encourage, and protect the people around me. 

 This kind of situation is going to keep popping up as people emerge from our homes and help establish a "new normal."  Each and every one of us will face hard choices on how to balance personal freedom with our responsibilities to one another.  Do we still go on that vacation we planned?  When, where, and how is it safe for us to get together with loved ones?  What do we need to give up or modify in order to make certain places safe for others?  What we once thought of as simple, everyday practices may turn out to have complex risks tied to them.  There will be times when we will just want to do things the way we've always done them...especially if we don't personally feel in danger.  Like some of the people in Corinth, we may find ourselves asking, "Why should I give up my freedom to accommodate the scruples of another?"  (1 Cor 10:29). 

Paul's response is simple: "Whatever you do--whether your eat or drink or not-do it all to the glory of God...I strive to please all people in all my actions and words--but don't think I am in this for myself--their rescued souls are the only profit." (1 Cor. 10:31, 33).  Let us be like Paul and act in ways that put the good of others over our own preferences--not because such actions are required, but because we freely choose to do so..  For when we build up others, we live into our call as Christians.  The profit of rescuing them from the danger we may unknowingly pose is worth the price of certain inconveniences.



Prayer

Holy Spirit, give me the wisdom and perseverance of Paul.  When I chafe against what feels like unfair limits to my freedom, remind me of my responsibility to protect those who may be harmed by my actions.  May your Church continually show that our true profit lies not in seeking our own advantage but in building up others, so that all may be saved.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment