Sunday, April 12, 2020

Christ is Risen!

 
Empty Tomb scene carved by Emmett Patterson


Happy Easter! 

This Easter may be different from what we are used to, but it has a lot in common with the first Easter than we may realize.  Jesus didn't announce that he had Risen to masses of people wearing special bonnets and singing well-rehearsed songs.  He came to Mary as she wept her heart out in the garden outside his empty tomb.  Then, he came to followers huddled behind locked doors.  In honor of those events, our church has prepared ways for us to spend time in the Garden with Jesus, celebrate together like the followers in the Upper Room, and stay connected with one another through activities that help build up the living body of Christ's church.

The Garden

If you would like to have a Mary moment, we invite you to stop by our garden cross and add a flower to it at any time on Easter Day.  Hand sanitizer and a copy of the prayer below will be waiting for you.  If someone else is there, please wait until they have cleared the area before approaching.  You can also have this same moment at home in your own garden.  Simply read the scripture and prayer below and spend some quite time with our Risen Lord as he comes to you.  


John 20:11-18

11 Now Mary stood outside the tomb crying. As she wept, she bent over to look into the tomb 12 and saw two angels in white, seated where Jesus’ body had been, one at the head and the other at the foot.

13 They asked her, “Woman, why are you crying?”

“They have taken my Lord away,” she said, “and I don’t know where they have put him.” 14 At this, she turned around and saw Jesus standing there, but she did not realize that it was Jesus.

15 He asked her, “Woman, why are you crying? Who is it you are looking for?”

Thinking he was the gardener, she said, “Sir, if you have carried him away, tell me where you have put him, and I will get him.”

16 Jesus said to her, “Mary.”

She turned toward him and cried out in Aramaic, “Rabboni!” (which means “Teacher”).

17 Jesus said, “Do not hold on to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father. Go instead to my brothers and tell them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’”

18 Mary Magdalene went to the disciples with the news: “I have seen the Lord!” And she told them that he had said these things to her.



 Prayer

Jesus, like Mary before me, I have come to this garden to look for you.  Come to me now, Jesus.  If I do not recognize you at first, then say my name.  Replace all my grief and sorrow with the joy your presence so.  When I leave this place, help me tell everyone I meet that I have seen my Lord and my Savior.  I know that you have Risen, Christ.  You have Risen.  You have Risen for me.  Amen.

The Upper Room

Rev. Kalish of First United Methodist, Wadesboro and I will livestream a joyful Easter service directly into whatever room you are sitting in via Facebook at 11 AM. The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) is also offering a denomination-wide service.  That service can be watched online or downloaded here.

If you prefer to watch  services on TV, the Presbytery of Charlotte will air its service on channel 64 (cable channel 10) at 11 AM.


The Living Body of Christ

Finally, we invite you to stay connected with one another.  Bake some Resurrection Rolls to share with your family as you watch a service together.  Call or text another church member to wish them a happy Easter.  I will offer up special Easter prayers for anyone who contacts me after noon.  FPC is also offering two special ways of feeling connected with the Church Universal.

First, have created two YouTube playlists of Easter Music that can be found here: 

 Traditional Easter Music
 Contemporary Easter Playlist
  
Second, our church is holding an Ugly Egg Competition.  The rules are simple:  Create the ugliest Easter Egg you can and send us a picture of it.   If you can't find an egg to decorate, make a paper one or use something "egg-like."  The sky is the limit.  Submissions can be made to the church's email address, the comments of this blog, or our Facebook page.  I will compile those submissions on Sunday evening so that an unbiased panel of judges can choose winners in the following categories:  Most Traditional, Most Creative, Funniest, and Grand Champion Ugly Egg.  Then, I'll post the pictures we received and a list of winners on Monday. 

However you choose to spend this quiet Easter, know that God loves you.  Jesus Christ has still Risen Today!  He will come to you where you are and fill your heart with Joy.  

Blessings,
Pastor Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment